Nothing's better than banana bread, except maybe for banana bread laced with sweet crushed pineapple and flakey coconut. Cozy, tropical and easy to make—this is a recipe you'll want to save!
Here's my dirty little secret: There are free bananas in my office and sometimes I like to take one at the end of the day in case I get stuck on the subway or need a snack before dinner. This usually results in a mushy banana grave at the bottom of my backpack come Friday morning...
So what's a girl to do with a stockpile of stolen bananas? Make banana bread, of course! And I'm not talking about plain-jane banana bread. This banana bread is sexy. If banana bread could taste like a suntan, this would be it! And not in a gross suntan lotion-y kind of way. In a real, golden, warm-from-the-sun suntan kind of way.
I also made a video about it because I'm trying to be in more of my videos—blah, blah, blah. I'm still a little nervous about doing this because I feel like the dorkiest dork on the planet. Give it a watch if you're interested. Help me be better please :) comments, advice, encouragement—it all would be much appreciated xoxo
PINEAPPLE-COCONUT BANANA BREAD
MAKES: 1 loaf
Nonstick cookings spray, for the pan
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven 350˚F. Lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. With a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla, pineapple, banana and coconut and beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture all at once and stir until just combined,
4. Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Tip: Cover this baby with cream cheese frosting and you have the perfect little cake for brunch or a kid's birthday party!