I really want to start with a sweet-tart joke. Make these sweet rolls for your sweet-tart this Valentine's day? Nailed it! But that's exactly what I'm doing. My husband's not a huge dessert fan but that boy loves a breakfast pastry like no other.
This Valentine's Day, I'm making raspberry sweet rolls. They're stuffed with berries and a sweet cream cheese filling. After they're baked and golden brown, here comes a drizzle of zesty pink grapefruit glaze. If you love lemon-raspberry anything, you'll love this recipe.
I've made sweet roll dough about a hundred times from scratch. To be honest, it's great but pizza dough works just as well. I live in Brooklyn, the land where great pizza dough's a plenty. For this recipe, though, the tube of pizza dough you find with the refrigerator biscuits and pre-made cookie dough is just fine. Perfect, actually! Because highly processed doughs tend to have a lot of sugar in them. And hello! We're making sweet rolls.
If you're feeling adorable, arrange your rolls in a heart-shaped cake pan. I like to line just the outside of the pan so that once they're baked and covered in glaze, the center because a frosting pool. You haven't lived until you've dunked a hunk of sweet roll in glaze like a steak fry in ketchup.
I love making glaze because it's the easiest topping in the world! Confectioners' sugar plus a liquid. That's it! To create my grapefruit topping, I whisked in IZZE Sparkling Grapefruit. It's not too sweet, not too tart. It really is the perfect balance for this recipe.
For those of you who have never made a cinnamon roll or sweet roll before, the process is way easier than you'd think. Definitely give it a try. The rolled-up pizza dough at the grocery store already comes in a square so you don't have to be an expert roller. The thing to remember: Don't spread your fillings too close to the edge. That's where things get messy and leaky. As long as you keep an inch border on the sides—you're golden! Just like your rolls!
By a show of hands, who likes to bake something on Valentine's Day to show your love? For a spouse? For a friend? For your kiddos? What are you planning to make this year? I'd love to know.
RUBY RED RASPBERRY ROLLS
FOR THE BERRY FILLING
6 ounces frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pink grapefruit zest
FOR THE CREAM FILLING
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
FOR THE ROLLS
1 rolls refrigerator pizza dough
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons IZZE Sparkling Grapefruit
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Lightly coat a cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Make the berry filling: Mix the raspberries, granulated sugar and grapefruit zest in a bowl; set aside.
3. Make the cream filling: With a mixer on medium speed, be a the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.
4. Make the rolls: Unroll the pizza dough on a cutting board. Pat to make sure it's even. Spread the cream cheese filling on top of the dough, stopping 1 inch away from the edges. Top with the berry filling, leaving the same gab around the edges.
5. Roll of the dough into a log and cut into 2-inch-thick rounds. Arrange in the prepared pan and brush with melted butter. Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, whisk the confectioners' sugar and IZZE grapefruit in a bowl until smooth.
7. Remove the rolls from the oven and let cool in the pan at least 5 minutes. Top with the glaze. Get ready to fall in love!
Tip: If you do not have IZZE Sparkling Grapefruit, you can use grapefruit juice! It will be similar with a tarter, tangier taste.